Portugal is a sovereign nation-state in Europe. It is located on the Iberian Peninsula, and it is the westernmost country of mainland Europe, being bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west and south and by Spain to the north and east. Portugal is a developed country with an advanced economy, high living standards and high-quality infrastructures, ranking 2nd in the quality of the road network and 11th overall, according to the Global Competitiveness Report. It is one of the world's most globalized, peaceful and responsive nations.
- Residence permit gives visa-free access to 165 countries including all Schengen States, USA, Japan, UK…etc;
- Attractive corporate and private taxation system; no global tax;
- Opportunity for family reunification and a wonderful opportunity in education, health services and lifestyle;
- Full access to all European Union to travel, work or study freely;
- Enjoy of the quality of life, safety and great weather.
The rights of foreign nationals to enter, reside and settle in Portugal are governed by the Law of 4th July 2007, Act 23/2007, which was further amended by the Law of 9th August 2012, Act 29/2012.
The Golden Residence Permit Program came into force in October 2012 and provides an opportunity for foreign investors from outside of the EU who want to pursue an investment activity in Portugal. The three current investment options available are:
- 1. the transfer of capital with a minimum value of Eur 1 million;
- 2. the acquisition of real estate with a minimum value of Eur 500,000;
- 3. the creation of at least 10 new jobs registered with the social security department.
Amended on 28th of January 2013, an investor can have Portuguese residence if he spends a minimum of 7 days in the first year of residence in Portugal, and 14 in each of the following 2-year periods. The applicant can further apply permanent residency after 5 years of temporary residence permit, and request a Portuguese passport after 6 years of temporary residence permit.